Libraries for storing assets
A library is best for storing large data sets, scripts, and other files such as code packages. Large assets and complete directories can be uploaded to the library without the web browser timing out. A library can also be shared across all or specific users in the Watson Studio Local system.
- Create a library
- Manage assets
- Manage viewers in a restricted library
- Convert an open library to restricted
- Transfer ownership of a library
- Delete a library
- View all libraries
Create a library
When you create a library (open or restricted), you become the owner of the library. Only you will be allowed to add assets to it. The other users can be allowed to view these assets (depending on access permissions), but cannot modify or add new content to the library.
To create a library, complete the following steps:
- In the Watson Studio Local client, click the menu icon ( ) and click Libraries.
- Click New Library .
- Name your library. Ensure that it does not contain spaces or non-ASCII characters.
- If you plan to allow only specific users to view the library, select the Restrict check box. For example, select this option if the library will contain confidential data. Otherwise, the library remains permanently open and all product users receive Viewer access to it.
- Click Create.
Your new library opens with you as the Admin user.
Only the Admin can add, modify, or delete assets from library. Viewers have read-only access to the assets, and can only perform the following actions on an asset:
- View and copy the path to the asset. For example, a Viewer can copy and paste the path to a local data set into their notebook.
- Preview the asset.
- Export the asset.
Asset files are stored in the global path, for example, /user-home/libraries/Jdoe\ Library\ Project/datasets/cars.csv in the library's user home.
Manage viewers in a restricted library
For a restricted library, only the Admin can add or remove Viewers. All Viewers have read-only access to the assets in the library.
To add Viewers to a restricted library, complete the following steps:
- Click the library you own.
- Click the Viewers
tab and click Add viewer.
Alternatively, you can click the Collaborator icon ( ) and click Add viewers.
- Select the users to add as library viewers.
- Click Add.
The Viewers will now be able to see and access the library.
Convert an open library to restricted
If you own a library, you can choose to convert an open library to a restricted library by clicking Restrict next to it in the list of libraries. You cannot convert a restricted library to an open library.
Transfer ownership of a library
If you own a library, you can choose to transfer ownership of it to a different user by clicking the Collaborator icon ( ) and clicking Transfer library.
Delete a library
If you own a library, you can delete it by clicking Delete next to it in the list of libraries. This action deletes the library for all of the Viewers, and deletes all assets (and the storage directories) associated with the library.
View all libraries
To see all libraries that you own or have Viewer or Admin access to, click Libraries on the Projects page.